When you hire professional roofers to replace your roof, here’s what typically happens:
1. Roof Inspection: Experienced roofers assess roof condition to determine the extent of damage, the need for repairs, and whether a full replacement is necessary.
2. Material Selection: You’ll work with the roofing contractor to choose the right roofing materials for your needs, considering factors like climate, budget, and aesthetics. Options may include asphalt shingles, metal roofing, tile, or others.
3. Permits and Permissions: Depending on local regulations, your roofing contractor may need to obtain permits for the project.
4. Tear-Off: The existing roofing materials are removed during a tear-off process. This involves stripping away the old shingles, underlayment, and any damaged decking.
5. Deck Inspection and Repair: They inspect the roof deck, and any issues are addressed and repaired to ensure a strong foundation for the new roof.
6. Underlayment Installation: A waterproof underlayment is applied to provide protection against moisture infiltration.
7. Roofing Material Installation: Whether it’s shingles, metal panels, or another option, they carefully follow manufacturer guidelines and best practices for installation.
8. Flashing and Ventilation: They install flashing and ensure adequate ventilation to promote airflow and extend the lifespan of your roof.
9. Cleanup: Once the new roof is in place, they thoroughly clean the work area. A magnetic sweeper is often used to collect stray nails to protect your property.
10. Final Inspection: They check for proper installation and address any remaining details.