When hiring a roofing contractor for your home, it’s important to be aware of red-flag questions that should not be asked by a reputable professional. Here are some examples of such questions to watch out for:
- "Can we start the work without a written contract?" A professional roofer should always provide a written contract. Starting work without a contract leaves you vulnerable to potential issues and disputes.
- "Can you pay for the entire project upfront?" Reputable roofers typically do not ask for full payment upfront. Asking for full payment upfront could indicate financial instability or the intention to take the money and not complete the job.
- "Can we skip obtaining necessary permits?" It’s crucial to obtain the necessary permits for roofing projects to ensure compliance with local building codes and regulations.
- "Can you provide me with your insurance claim check?" If a roofer asks you to provide them with your insurance claim check, it’s a major red flag. Reputable roofers will work directly with the insurance company and handle the claims process themselves.
- "Can you sign over your insurance benefits to us?" Beware of any roofer with unethical behavior who asks you to sign over your insurance benefits to them.
Awareness of these red flag questions can help you identify professional and trustworthy roofing contractors who prioritize your best interests. Do thorough research and check references before hiring a roofer for your project.